It's been a couple of years since I cleared this costume, and I'm still happy with it, but since the Rebel Marines have multiple variations, and I wanted a challenge through lockdown I decided to have a shot at making the R1 version of the Endor headgear.
Rather than buying a premade An-H-15 and donut, I scratch made mine using reference from the film and the one available on Retro Revival Props.
First I downloaded the patterns for the AN-H-15
and made copies on my fabric of choice, what I used is plain cotton canvas in taupe colour.
Next was pinning and sewing
Important to sew the headgear together at this point to complete the loop
After finishing one, I made a second
and attached them together with the inside, out and the outside in
When it's all sewn it's pulled the right way giving clean edges
For extra strength and security I sewed the loops together
Next is the bias binding style edge, since I didn't have bias binding I used a length of the same fabric
It's tedious to get the fabric to stay down, but it's hard work that pays off
I did the same thing for the ear loops
Even harder than the main edge, but worth it
For the ridge on the top of the headgear, I did the same thing as with the M1 helmet cover. Sandwich a piece of fleece between 2 layers of the same fabric, sew on the ridges, and fold the edges over.
Sewing this piece onto the main headwear was again hard to get the ridge curve to the contours of the headwear. It fought me, but it went on in the end
For the ear parts (there probably is a name for them, but I don't know what it is) I noticed they aren't the same as the Endor version. The R1 version has a bevelled cylinder on the main ear part. For these I used EVA floor mat foam.
Using a rotary tool I got the bevel on the raised part
I heat sealed and coated the foam parts in Plastidip for priming and extra sealing, sadly I couldn't find black plastidip and was forced to use white plastidip, then use black spray paint
Next was adding some flaps around the cheek area
I improvised a pattern to get these parts made
Up next was the leather parts, for this I used pleather, again there was no pattern, so I again improved one by staring at the source images and doodling some make shift patterns on the AN-H-15 itself
After sewing the parts down I added the snaps. Looking at the source images the snaps are silver, but I could be wrong
The last part to finish the soft part was the chin strap (I didn't take a lot of pictures of this step)
The last part is the donut. I got a kit from RWA Creations, and having some experience from Clone Armour building, this was fairly simple enough
Parts trimmed and shaped to fit my head
Glued together using some shims on the inside, and solvent weld as the adhesive
Gap is filled
and sanded down
Then it's priming and sanding
Then paint it silver
Add some liquid latex and tape for paint shipping
And paint it
And repaint it again because this blueish green looked terrible. After speaking to Graeme (scot-gcar709) who was making his Endor Trooper, I got the same paint he used and repainted the donut to a better looking colour
The final step was adding the peak. Again I thought this would be easy, but it wasn't. Since the peak curves trying to trace it onto the flat fabric gave me weird results.
Whilst some results worked, when it came to adding the bias edge I kept running into problems where it ended up looking bad.
Eventually I found a method that works, but make a length of bias tape, sewing one side onto one half of the fabric cover
then sewing the other half of the cover onto the tape, fold it the right way round.
Glue the peak to the ring
What other additions do I want to add to my Marine, well since the cheat mounted commpad is in discussion on the main board, might as well go for that. A friend with a resin printer gave me a B-grade print of a commpad, just need to paint, weather and mount it to my gorka.
Looking at the colour of the donut, I probably want to repaint the ring on my M1 helmet the same colour.
But you must accept your regret the way you accept your mistakes. Then move on.