Hera Syndulla S3/4 - WIP (changed from S1/2)

WIPs without activity for over 12 months are stored here
Please post up or message one of the Base team to move threads back to active!

Moderator: DCO

Topcat
Name: Tracey Richards
2020 Troops:: 0

Hera Syndulla S3/4 - WIP (changed from S1/2)

Post by Topcat » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Finally in a position to start my Hera!

I have spent a while looking at Hera and her cosplayers and trying to work out which shade of gold/orange to go for, but from the pantone ref below I figured the more gold of the two poly/cotton drill samples (the bottom one) would hopefully be the right one.

Image Image

So far I have butchered a dungarees pattern for the flight suit trousers with a little "help" from Gollum:

And made a mock up to make sure it fitted. I marked on the fake fly and knee panels and repatterned with the amendments
I needed to make.

Today I have started putting them together. I stitched the fronts together at the centre, added the fake fly and top panel, and attached the knee panels to the front of the legs with a double topstitch.

I then inserted the invisible zip (twice.....because it's been about 10 years since I last put one in!) and stitched up the side seams.

Next will be the side pockets and flaps, then I'll stitch up the middle seam and start the bit above the waist.
Last edited by Topcat on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gremlin
Active Legion Member
Name: Claire Mackie
Total Troops: 16

Re: Hera Syndulla S1/2 - WIP

Post by Gremlin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:24 am

Great start, Tracey! I love how Dave Filoni gave the Pantone colours for several of the costumes at the start of Rebels. If only we could have that every time ... :mrgreen:

Looks like you've got some good help there from Gollum but if you need any advice, just post up here and we'll do our best to help out!
"Judge me by my size do not." - Master Yoda

xenadd
Name: Alexina Duncan
Total Troops: 4

Post by xenadd » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi Tracey, glad to see you've started your WIP thread!

If you need any pointers feel free to hit me up here, on FB or in the Hera group. I would say take a look at my build thread, but it was lost in the great forum crash. When I have a moment I'll reconstruct it in the cleared section of the detachment, so keep an eye for that if you ever get stuck but I think you'll be fine! Good luck.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks guys.

Update time. A certain little Rey (in my profile pic - anyone identify the Ewok and Jawa in the picture? It was at MCM London last October) going on a week-long year 6 trip gave me some nice extra sewing time.

I had the usual 'help' from the little G-man while positioning the pockets. The right side has the pocket stitched on all the way round, together with flap ......

ImageImage

....and on the left side the pocket is stitched down in front of the zip and Velcro'd down behind the zip:

The top sections are interfaced with stiff interfacing and attached with an opening on the left above the zip. At the moment it closes with Velcro but I might change this if I'm not happy with it at the end.

The hems have been turned up and wide elastic inserted. The only thing left to do is put on the belt loops which I'll do after I buy the webbing, and the snaps. All done and pinned on Dottie:

Next up .... the shirt

jedirocker
Detachment CO
Name: eric
2020 Troops:: 1
Total Troops: 11

Post by jedirocker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Nice one !!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:03 am

Quick update. I made a couple of mock-ups for the shirt, and I'm just waiting on a fabric sample to come through before I make it up properly - I'm trying to get the right shade of off-white without dyeing. And I've started on the vest. I've never draped before (thank you Craftsy course sales), nor worked with leather (making the overskirt for Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon doesn't count!). So I'm going to mock up in calico, and then fake leather, and then when I've got it right I will go buy a piece of leather to do it properly, along with all the other bits that need it. I'm planning on putting an invisible zip in the side seam of the vest so that I can make it as fitted as possible.

Delta_Source
Name: Delta Source - User Testing

Post by Delta_Source » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Looking good Tracey!

Topcat

Re: Hera Syndulla S3/4 - WIP (changed from S1/2)

Post by Topcat » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Finally an update. I have been banging my head against the wall trying to sort the shirt! And decided that the references all look like the front is a hard 'bib' rather than part of the shirt itself. Now unfortunately for me I'm a perfectionist, so I decided I didn't want to go down that route, plus getting the vest to mould round the 'girls' and still look half decent was proving challenging to say the least.

So I decided that S3/4 would actually be easier. I spent ages looking at the pictures, and brushing up on flat patterning (I've made clothes for years, but patterning was not something I'd really learned. I now have a shirt mock-up that fits, apart from a slight adjustment to the sleeve cap, and I'm just starting the collar.

I'm collecting fabric samples, I have another one on it's way for a pale grey to compare with the ivory - the beige is too dark.

I also think the grey is too dark - I can't find a CRL for this one (if anyone knows where it is please can you point me towards it) so I'm going off what other people have already had approved (silly number of reference tabs permanently open on my laptop). It's an odd colour, more of a taupe than grey, so I'm seeing fabric dyeing in my future.

Edit: I just found this one, comparing with the artwork:

It's closer, yes??

My lovely wonderful SW-loving husband totally pandered to my geekiness and bought me a 3D printer for my birthday, so I've also started printing bits out.

Gremlin
Active Legion Member
Name: Claire Mackie
Total Troops: 16

Post by Gremlin » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 am

I think that taupe/grey is definitely a better colour than the first one ... it's so hard to tell with differences in monitors, lighting for photos, etc. When Rebels started, Dave Filoni gave Pantone colour codes for the different costume colours - did he do the same for the later seasons, I wonder? That would at least give you something more concrete to compare against your swatches.
"Judge me by my size do not." - Master Yoda

tenebris
Base Membership Officer, Detachment CO
Name: empathy gray
Total Troops: 6
501st Number: 70969
MMCC Name:: Tenebris

Post by tenebris » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 am

Xena used:

'Dove grey cotton stand collar and
paneling detail with concealed zip in centre-
left. Main body and main-sleeves in pale grey
japanese poplin. Pocket detail on sleeve
panels in pale grey. '

its finding a grey with that taupe undertone. Its really tricky to gauge it online. This looks like it could be warmer? but does have spandex. I'll look in my samples as I ordered alot of greys when making pryce.

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-2858-054 ... -grey.html

https://www.calicolaine.co.uk/light-gre ... p0001.html

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Gremlin wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:56 am
I think that taupe/grey is definitely a better colour than the first one ... it's so hard to tell with differences in monitors, lighting for photos, etc. When Rebels started, Dave Filoni gave Pantone colour codes for the different costume colours - did he do the same for the later seasons, I wonder? That would at least give you something more concrete to compare against your swatches.
The only image I've seen for later series is the one in my last post. I might tweet Tracy Cannobio and see if she can get hold of anything.
tenebris wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 am
Xena used:

'Dove grey cotton stand collar and
paneling detail with concealed zip in centre-
left. Main body and main-sleeves in pale grey
japanese poplin. Pocket detail on sleeve
panels in pale grey. '

its finding a grey with that taupe undertone. Its really tricky to gauge it online. This looks like it could be warmer? but does have spandex. I'll look in my samples as I ordered alot of greys when making pryce.

https://www.myfabrics.co.uk/81-2858-054 ... -grey.html

https://www.calicolaine.co.uk/light-gre ... p0001.html
Thank you! I had seen the one at My Fabrics, and the grey sample in my post above is the dark one from Calico Lane. It's not as dark in real life as that photo makes it look, but it doesn't have the warm taupe undertones. I wouldn't mind using a stretch poplin, I just can't use jersey. Xena's accuracy is pretty legendary, but when I look at this picture it looks like the sleeves are the same as the S1/2 shirt, which is more of a dirty creamy off-white.

This is an approved jersey version from someone at the Bespin Base which is definitely ivory/cream and dark grey:

I'll see if I can get a sample of the taupe poplin - it's a shop that has never, ever come up on ANY of my fabric searches before - www.doughtysonline.co.uk for future reference.

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 pm

Oooh the pale grey from Croft Mill is lovely!

tenebris

Post by tenebris » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am

Topcat wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 pm
Oooh the pale grey from Croft Mill is lovely!
Great, have you got a pic? Grey is such a nightmare to sample. I think it would be great to keep a record of photo's of samples and links to the stores for fabrics that work for certain costumes. maybe in the resource area?

Topcat

Post by Topcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:59 am

Time for an update. I finally finished the mockup of the shirt - and then I looked at it for a couple of months, convinced the collar wasn't sitting right, until I turned it the right side out and it was fine :smh:

I bought the pale grey poplin from Croft Mill, and then I took a 3.5hr round trip drive to Doughty's to see about the taupe cotton. It wasn't right, but it's a small warehouse full of fabric, so I found a craft cotton that I think is close. I forgot to check which shade it is, but I will try to find it for future reference. It's a different weight from the poplin, but that doesn't seem to matter. I've done the sleeves, and cut out the rest, and I'm hoping to get it all put together today.

I've also been working on the vest. It's nearly done, I just have to put in the press studs. It has a zip opening on the left so I can get into it. I adapted it from Simplicity 5582. This is the first mockup.

Incidentally, Doughty's white leatherette is beautifully soft, so if anyone is looking to make the flight cap out of leatherette, then I can recommend it. https://www.doughtysonline.co.uk/leatherette-white.html

There will be more - Celebration crunch is real!

tenebris

Post by tenebris » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:08 pm

This is looking lovely.......those sleeves are ace! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Always appreciated when people put patterns and fabric details on their WIPS :)

Return to “Archived WIPs”